Wednesday, November 11, 2020

2020 Race Record

2020 was an unusual race year because of the Covid-19 pandemic.  The year started with two races in Feb., then racing shut down around the world.  AHRMA resumed racing in late July with two back to back races in the Mid-West, then there were two races back to back in the South, then the Barber finale. The VRRA in Canada had only one race and that was on a date that conflicted with one of the AHRMA races that I went to, but I don't think I was allowed to go to Canada anyway.  I had planned to do the WERA administered AMA Vintage M/C Days at Mid Ohio, but that was canceled.  I had also planned to do the Lap of Honour at the Isle of Man Classic TT, but that too was canceled.  So the total of 7 events that I went to was surely the least I've done perhaps since I started racing in 1972.  The 7 events were at 7 different venues, and I did four races at each event (two Sat., and two Sun,) for a total of 28 races.  I started all the races that I entered.  I won 13 of them, was 2nd in 8 of them, 3rd three times and 4th 3 times (two of which were mechanical DNFs), and 1 DQ for a crash which caused a red flag.  I had one other crash, but that was in practice and didn't prevent me from racing.  I raced three different bikes, all of which were mine.  At the first race of the year at Laguna Seca, Ca., I raced the 350 Aermacchi I own that lives in California with Karl Engellenner, who built and maintains it.  With it, I won the 350GP both days and was 3rd and 1st in the 500 Premiere.  The rest of the year, I just rode my CRTT and ERTT H-D Sprints.  With the CRTT, I had 9 wins, 2 seconds, 1 third(in 350GP) and 2 fourths (1 mechanical DNF, 1 in 350GP).  With the ERTT, I had 1 win, 6 seconds, 1 third, 1 fourth, and 1 DQ (crash).  I won the 250GP championship and was 2nd in the 350GP championship.  However, a big asterisk should be put after the 250GP championship as the entry in this class was very light and at least two of most competitive in this class couldn't make it to most of the races.  The entry in 350GP was slightly better but also with excellent riders and bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment